Candidiasis is yeast infection caused by fungal microorganism, Candida albicans. It is the most common cause of yeast infection for both male and female but women are more prone. It thrives in any warm, moist body area and tends to reproduce in external areas like the nails, vagina, mouth, armpits, between the toes, under the breasts, in the folds of the skin and in the foreskin.
Although men and women differ in yeast infection symptoms, they both may suffer bloating, constipation or diarrhea, poor sexual function, irritable, poor memory, lack of energy, athlete’s foot, bad breath or halitosis, and thrush. Thrush is a nasty painful rash in the mouth. Also referred to as oral candidiasis or oral thrush.
Signs and Symptoms of Male Yeast Infection
- Yeast infection in men affects the end of the penis called the glans and also the foreskin. It causes inflammation, swelling and pain.
- Itchiness is also common
- White patches around the head of the penis
- Thick smelly discharge from the foreskin
- Pain in pulling back the foreskin
- Itchy rash around the genital area
- Pain when urinating during sex
Male yeast infection in men is a common fungal infection for uncircumcised men, or with medical problems like STDs. The symptoms of candidiasis is not often felt only when the candida albicans grow out of control.
Contributing Factors to Male Yeast Infection
- Use of perfumed soaps and chemicals and shower gels in the groin area
- Strong scrubbing or washing of the genital area
- Wearing of dirty underwear for too long
- Not taking a bath regularly/Poor hygiene
- Intercourse with an infected woman
- Antibiotics intake for long period
- Previous infections like jock’s itch or athlete’s foot
- Weakened immune system
- Medications that suppress body’s natural defenses such as chemotherapy or corticosteroids
Male Yeast Infection Treatment
- Most men are only afflicted with mild yeast infection and do not require medical treatment. Sometimes it clears on its own accord and topical antifungal creams are enough. For more serious or aggressive infection, over-the-counter antifungal creams is sufficient.
- Proper hygiene is a big help in the treatment of yeast infection in men. Keep the moist areas as clean and dry as possible. Dry the penis area thoroughly after washing it in warm water. To reduce sweat build, loose cotton underwear must be worn as it also allows good air-flow.
- Lactobacillus is a proven immune-booster that aids in restoring balance of healthy bacteria in the body. This probiotics is said to be effective in clearing Candida overgrowth in women. It may also be recommended for men.
- To prevent yeast infection from coming back, lifestyles changes must be considered like going on a low sugar diet.
Home Remedies for Male Yeast Infection
- Garlic. Garlic is highly effective against Candida. It is one of the most potent antifungals. Consume is with olive oil, avocado or coconut oil so as not to irritate mucous membrane.
- Coconut Oil. Can be used topically and internally. it is an antifungal remedy that can be easily included in your diet.
- Oregano Oil. Is said to be effective in killing candida overgrowth and is a powerful source of the antifungal compound Carvacrol.
- Tea Tree Oil. Is an antifungal is smells strongly and may kill various kinds of bacteria, yeasts and fungi. It can be diluted and used topically or added to your bath.
It is best to prevent and reduce the occurrence of Candida overgrowth. Both men and women are susceptible to it. One must maintain a healthy diet, proper hygiene, balancing of good bacteria in the gut also prevents overgrowth internally and externally. Avoiding antibiotics and supplementing your diet with probiotics and fermented food is also a good choice.