We all know how much turmeric can improve our health in many ways, however, here is a list of some random fun facts regarding of turmeric:
1. India is the largest producer of turmeric in the entire world. They produce 80%-90% of the world’s total turmeric. They export turmeric and are responsible for 60% of exported turmeric.
3. Turmeric is labeled as a “the golden spice” not only in India but also around the world because of its brilliant color.
4. Its vibrant color is also widely used as a dying agent on clothes and other things. In fact, even the yellowness of mustard comes from the added turmeric to purposely change its color. Turmeric can be used as dye and food coloring.
5. The origin of turmeric is uncertain since some say it originated from south India, while the others argue from the west part of India. Regardless, turmeric is also native to the South part of Asia and Southeast Asia.
6. Generally, turmeric is the same thing to most people, however, there are several varieties of turmeric in India such as the Nizamabad Bulb, Sangli Turmeric, Rajapore Turmeric, Erode and Salem Turmeric and Alleppey Finger.
7. It’s called the “Indian saffron” because it is was often the alternative to using saffron since turmeric is less expensive.
9. Turmeric is an antivenom against bites from a King Cobra.